Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Speeding through the night

Sudafed, and its active ingredient pseudoephedrine, are clearly not for me: I took one last night and had a terrible reaction to it.

Side effects for pseudoephedrine, according to Medline:

  • nervousness
  • restlessness
  • dizziness
  • difficulty sleeping
  • upset stomach
Yes, yes, no, yes, no. A very odd feeling: although I was physically tired, my mind was racing so fast that I couldn't get to sleep.

Says Wikipedia:

As with other phenylethylamines, [pseudoephedrine] is very chemically similar to amphetamines.
No kidding; I certainly felt like I was speeding. While the decongestant effect worked very well, the side effects rule this one out for me from now on.

Comments:

I get a similar reaction sometimes. Makes me hallucinate, I'm sure. Or was that Lemsip?

Anyway, you are generally better off steaming with methol or olbas oil. No strange side effects if you inhale :)