Monday, March 28, 2005

I made this: Pistachio Cake

This pistachio cake was very good.

I didn't bother with the odd-sized tin the recipe recommends; I used a 9"x5" loaf tin. And I didn't bother lining the tin after I greased it; there's plenty of butter in the cake mix, and it released easily from my non-stick tin.

I substituted 2 tsp natural vanilla extract for the vanilla bean. And I mixed it all in the food processor: first grind the nuts and reserve. Then cream the butter and sugar; add the eggs one by one; add the lemon zest and vanilla; add the nuts and flour; pour out into the tin.

It took a shade over 60 minutes to bake in my oven, and be careful: for me it went from wobbly-in-the-middle unset to slightly-too-browned-on-the-edges set very quickly. Maybe the slightly shallower tin the recipe recommends would avoid this.

If you're using raw pistachios, toast the nuts for the topping. And I doubled up the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze to use up the naked lemon left over from the cake.

I was very pleased with this: it's moist, very nutty, and has a good hit of lemon from the glaze. And it came out just like the picture.

Comments:

english muffins are meant to be muffins.
texas doesn't exist. just stop looking. turn away, everything will be fine. it will!

we call chickpeas chickpeas.
Ah, a drive-by commenting.

Posts to which these comments belong are here (muffins), here (texans) and here (chickpeas).
Glad it turned out well. I think I may have toasted the pistachios as well. Good idea.