Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Cookbooked

Python Cookbook, 2nd Edition, p480: look, it's me!

12.10 Merging Continuous Text Events with a SAX Filter; Credit Uche Ogbuji, James Kew, Peter Cogolo

My contribution was minor: a couple of comments on Uche's original recipe. But still, it's nicer to be in than out. And O'Reilly were true to their word: my free copy arrived yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet, but the first edition was excellent both as an all-round grounding in Python idiom and as a source of concrete examples. The second edition drops coverage of Python 2.2 and below to concentrate in more detail on Python 2.3 and 2.4, with 338 recipes vs the first edition's 245. I'm greatly looking forward to ploughing through it.

(For future reference: O'Reilly's Python Cookbook page also carries an up-to-date list of errata.)

Comments: