Monday, September 13, 2004

Pricks

I had MMR and diphtheria/tetanus jabs recently. Part of the US Embassy medical is a check of your vaccination history. Although the Embassy doctor can do the jabs there and then, I decided to have them done at my local GP surgery. They're the ones who have my records, and they charge a lot less for it.

And blimey: there's really nothing to it, is there? I remember vaccinations at school were always blow up to ridiculous proportions by us kids: needles the size of nails, pain, swelling, blisters, dead arms. By the time you got into the nurse's office, you'd convinced yourself it was going to be awful. No amount of reassurance was going to shake that belief.

As an adult, though, you realise that the needles are tiny. You barely even feel the prick, let alone hurt from it.

I still looked away when the nurse told me to, though. I think there are two sorts of people, those who will look at the needle going in and those who won't. I'd like to believe I'm in the first fearless group, but in practice I always turn out to be a squeamish coward.

Comments: